- 2 c white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 c raw cane sugar
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c butter
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 4 New England apples, cored and sliced
- 3/4 c raw cane sugar
- 1/4 c white whole-wheat flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- Brush over top:
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- Stir dry dough ingredients together; cut in butter until crumbs are the size of small peas. Stir in egg yolks. Divide dough in half. Press one half into a 15″ x 10″ x 1″ baking pan.
- Mix together apples and the filling ingredients; arrange over top of bottom crust. Crumble remaining dough over apples. Brush egg white over all.
- Bake in 350° oven for 40 minutes. Cool before cutting into bars.
These can also be baked in a 13″ x 9″ x 2″ pan for 45 minutes.