Apple and Cream Cheese Tart
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 t lemon juice
- 1 c flour
- 2 8-oz packages cream cheese
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large McIntosh or other New England apples
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cream butter, 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice together in large mixing bowl. Stir in flour until well blended. Press dough into bottom and 1-1/2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate.
- Place cream cheese and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add egg and beat until smooth.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into 1/4-inch pieces. In a large bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon. Add apple slices and toss until coated.
- Pour cream cheese filling into prepared crust and cover with sugared apple slices. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°. Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Use a knife to loosen cake before releasing the spring and lifting the sides from bottom of pan.
Recommended Apple varieties (sweet to tart)