New England McIntosh Cake
The McIntosh is excellent for cooking as well as fresh, and it breaks down easily, making it a popular choice for applesauce. Its flavor is superb in pies, ideally mixed with a firmer variety for the best in taste and texture. This easy-to-make apple cake is good either as a dessert or for breakfast.
- 3 McIntosh or other New England apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 c sugar
- 1-1/2 c canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 3 c flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 c pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 2 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Beat sugar and oil with a whisk or electric mixer. Add eggs and beat well.
- Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in apples, nuts, and vanilla.
- Pour into baking dish. Bake 60-70 minutes. Cake should be golden brown and firm.