Edna Lyman’s Scalloped Apples
A wonderful accompaniment to roasts of all kinds. A favorite at family gatherings and church suppers for more than 60 years! – Dorothy Lyman Waller
- 6 New England baking apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 2 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 T butter or margarine
- 1/3 c fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9″ x 13″ x 2″ baking dish.
- Combine apples, water, and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook one minute.
- Place apples, rounded side up, in prepared baking dish. Pour 1/2 of cooking liquid over them. Dot with butter.
- Pour lemon juice, then maple syrup over all.
- Bake for one hour until apples are tender. Use remaining cooking liquid to baste, if necessary.