Spiced Apple Catsup
- 8-10 New England apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 c diced onion
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 t ginger
- 1-1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1/2 t dry mustard
- 1 c cider vinegar
- Place apples in saucepan and add enough water to cover.
- Simmer until almost all the water has evaporated, about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Press through a food mill or sieve. Return to pan.
- Whisk in all remaining ingredients, adding vinegar last. Simmer until thick. Keep refrigerated.